BEHIND THE MAGIC – Chiko Abengowe of Perfect Staffing + Office Solutions
As we continue our “Behind the Magic” series, I want to highlight that our guest today, Chiko Abengowe was one of the people I originally wanted to chat with about their journey towards entrepreneurship when I first got the idea of this project 2 years ago. I’ve been following his work the past couple of years on social media and have admired his sense of self and work ethic. He’s such a visionary, who saw opportunities and problems in 2 different industries and took up the responsibility to create solutions for them and now he’s the man behind the magic of Perfect Staffing Solutions LLC., and Perfect Office Solutions, LLC. in Maryland.
1. Can you introduce yourself to us?
a. My name is Chiko Abengowe, Founder and CEO of both Perfect Staffing Solutions, LLC and Perfect Office Solutions, LLC.
2. What do you do and how did you get into your career? What or who inspired you?
a. I’m an entrepreneur with projects in 2 different industries. For Perfect Staffing Solutions, we are a staffing agency focusing on providing staffing solutions to healthcare based organizations like Hospital, Nursing Homes, Group Homes and Doctors Offices. My first job after college was as a healthcare recruiter and that’s where it all started.
b. For Perfect Office we focus on providing entrepreneurs with affordable, professional and flexible office spaces. I got into this space after realizing that office spaces were too expensive, not so professional and not flexible for the small business owner or entrepreneurs looking to launch their business.
3. What’s your educational background?
a. I graduated with honors at Towson University with a B.S. in Healthcare Management and Business.
4. What 5 people (living or dead) would you love to have drinks with?
c. Martin Luther King
d. President Obama
e. Bill Gates
5. So far, what has been the biggest moment of your life?
a. One of the biggest moment of my life was in December 3rd 2012 when I quit my job to launch Perfect Staffing Solutions, LLC., 2 days later.
6. What were the biggest challenges you’ve faced in your life and how did you handle it?
a. One of the biggest challenges was surviving off of less than a $5,000 income from my business the first year 2013. I made it through by finding odd jobs and hustles to make some extra income to make it to the next day.
7. Who has been the most influential in your personal and professional life?
a. I’m very easily influenced by dreamers and change makers, and I read, study and apply the greatness they demonstrate along their life’s journey.
8. What’s your favorite thing to do with friends and employees?
a. One of my favorite things to do is eating, going to the movies and dancing.
9. How do you maintain a good work life balance?
a. I don’t. No such thing at this moment. It’s mostly work and then find time to fit the rest.
10. What does creativity mean to you and what’s your creative process?
a. Creativity to me is thinking outside the box. My creative process is spending some time daily to think about how things could be done different or better.
11. Share what a typical day looks like. What’s the best part of your day?
a. My typical day begins when I wake at 5am. I ready myself and leave the house before 6am. I get to Perfect Staffing before 7am, take lunch at Perfect Office, then back to Perfect Staffing and after 5pm back to Perfect Office until 9pm. Then grab dinner and head home. Check my emails, read and go to bed by midnight and then start all over again.
12. What’s your best financial and business advice for millennials?
a. Be mindful of your spending/investing habits.
13. What are your deepest fears and how do you deal with them?
a. My biggest fear is not being able to accomplish my goals and dreams. I overcome that fear by waking up everyday determined to be the best.
14. What song do you have on your playlist that no one will believe?
a. I’m not sure, I listen to most things but really enjoy Hip-Pop.
15. What’s the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you?
a. One of the most embarrassing things that happened to me was not being able to afford certain things as a kid like designer shoes. So I would buy plain white payless shoes and draw a checkmark to resemble Nike shoes. Of course I got made fun of.
16. What don’t people know about you or what do people assume a lot about you that’s untrue and what’s the truth?
a. People usually think I have it all together, Not True. I have good days and bad days also. I just learn from my bad days, but focus on my good days.
17. What’s the best and worst thing about your job?
a. The best part about Perfect Staffing is that I get to provide work opportunity to those looking for work. The worst part about my industry is the invoice payment cycle.
18. If you could switch lives with anyone for 24hrs who would it be?
a. No one. I love my life and appreciate the good and bad.
19. If you could have any super human powers, what will it be?
a. I’ve always wanted to fly and I fly often in my dreams.
20. What’s your favorite food and drink?
a. I love food and have a lot of favorite foods, but my staple is jollof rice with goat meat.
21. Who’s your favorite artist, designer and author?
a. My favorite rap artist is Jay Z. I don’t do much of designer wears and I don’t have a favorite author, but I read everything.
22. What song best describes your personality or is a great sound track of your life?
a. Pharrell “Happy”.
23. What’s your favorite type of book, movie and TV show?
a. I like self help books. I love all kinds of movies and have a movie pass, but I watch very little TV.
24. Can you describe your personal style in 3 words and what’s your favorite everyday look?
a. Casual shoes, pants and a button up.
25. What does success in life mean to you? What does it look like?
a. Success to me is setting a goal and chasing it to its attainment.
26. What’s your opinion on the state of our country right now?
a. There is always an opportunity and my opinion is to focus on that opportunity and not be distracted.
27. What do you think is the biggest challenge for youths and what’s the solution?
a. The biggest challenge for youth today is learning how to be focused. There is too many distractions today.
28. What advice will you give someone who is unsure about what to do with their life?
a. It’s ok, continue to live and you will figure it out. Don’t force yourself into a box when there is no need to do so.
29. Who or what makes you laugh?
a. I laugh very easily and love comedy.
30. What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve done?
a. Traveling west to Vegas. While out there I visited the Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon.
31. What’s the biggest thing you’ve learned within the last year? Any regrets?
a. I’ve learned that time flys and waits for no one. No regrets. There is a learning opportunity in all things.
32. How do you give back in your community and how do you want to be remembered?
a. I give back through mentorship and a positive attitude. I want to be remembered as a person who encouraged others to be the best of themselves.
33. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What’s next for you?
a. I see myself more in the enjoyment phase or passive work phase of my journey and less in the active work category.
34. Is there anything else very important or interesting about you that you’d like to share with us?
a. I’m a thinker and always looking for ways to reinvent myself because I get bored easily. I’m probably harder on myself than I am with anyone else.
35. How can people get in contact with you?
a. Facebook – Perfect Staffing Solutions, LLC & Perfect Office Solutions, LLC.
b. Instagram – @perfectofficellc @chikothedreamchaser10