Behind The Magic – Adaku
Welcome to the first interview of the “Behind the Magic” series, where I’ll be interviewing amazing men and women about their life, work, struggles, inspirations and style. My goal is to shine the spotlight on people, and use their stories to inspire others to live boldly and passionately.
Adaku is the epitome of boldness, beauty and brains. She’s an Engineer with a Master degree, but she’s an artist, from her music, to her style or the work of art that is her mane, she’s passionate about life and self expression. You don’t want to miss it, SUBSCRIBE and stay tuned. It will be inspirational, educational, fun, exciting and real!
1.Who is Adaku the Artist?
Adaku is a singer/song writer who plays the guitar, has a million song ideas but only executes 1 out of the million.
2. Who is the woman behind the brand?
Goofy-food loving-feminist-ass appreciating-freshman gym rat-natural hair defender-woman.
3. Where are you based and what’s your favorite thing about the city?
I live in Alexandria, VA. It’s a quaint town with so much history and beauty.
4. What’s your favorite thing to do and favorite place to go?
Chilling at the old town Alexandria harbor with good friends, good conversation and sangria in hand. Also brunch at founding farmers on a Saturday is the best thing.
5. How was your brand born?
Can I say I hate the word brand? It reminds me of cows and it feels restricting. I don’t even know that I have a “brand” in the sense that you mean it. I guess music is my brand. gosh I don’t know.
6. Three 3 words to describe your style?
Random. Colorful, Ass-accentuating (I know that is like four words, but as you can see I do not follow instructions).
7. Diamonds or Pearls?
Just give me the money, I’ll add it to my next vacation.
8. Heels or Flats?
Flats. I love shoes and the ones with heels are gorgeous but each time my feet hurts from wearing cute heels all day, I silently curse whoever started the trend and I also curse myself for subjecting myself to pain. Sigh…
9. Favorite accessory?
You know I used to be an accessory queen. I mean my earrings were so huge, it felt like my ear piercing could split in half any moment. These days I can wear a tiny stud earring for weeks without changing them.
10. Favorite fashion trend of all time?
Winged eye liner. Yes!
11. Favorite designer?
I don’t have designer money, so none. Until I become famous and they give me stuff for free, then I’ll have an answer lol.
12. Favorite Musician?
Loving Frank Ocean at the moment.
13. Favorite food?
14. Where will you like to be in 10 years?
I just want to be happy.
15. What’s keeping you busy right now?
Currently taking an online course on music theory. I really want to understand why I do the things I do when I write and play songs.
16. How excited about life are you on a scale of 1-10?
17. What’s the first thing you do when you have an idea?
Write it in my notes or record it with an audio app.
18. What are your hobbies?
19. What’s your favorite workout?
20. What can’t you do?
I can’t swim.
21. What or who makes you laugh?
Twitter cracks me up.
22. What three things do you need to be happy?
Good food, good music and good views.
23. What’s your biggest fear?
24. What’s the biggest thing you’ve learned within the last year?
People will fail you, you owe it to yourself, not to fail yourself.
25. Most memorable moment in your life?
February 27, 2015 sailing the crystal clear blue waters of Exuma, Bahamas. I actually cried.
26. How did you know what to do with your life?
I am still figuring that out.
27. If your life was a song, what will the title be?
“Burn Blue” by Adaku (Me).
29. Person you’d like to have a drink with?
I’d like to have drinks with Beyoncé. I’ll also have drinks with Adam and Eve, just so I can figure out why they messed us all up and what they’ve been doing with their lives since the beginning. I am sure they’ve picked up some hobbies throughout the years. lol…..
30. Favorite quote?
“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster… for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.” – Friedrich Nietzsche.
31. Best compliment you’ve received?
32. Money or fame?
Ego please. Who fame don epp? (Translation – Money please, who has fame helped?).
33. What advice will you give your younger self?
Stop being so nice and curse some people out.
34. What made you cry recently or deeply moved you?
I recently watched a video of some high school south African girls protesting to be able to wear their natural hair in school. That broke my heart.
35. How do you want to be remembered?
I want to remembered as one who lived life on her own terms.
– – – I hope you enjoyed this interview and got a glimpse of the woman behind the artist ADAKU. If you have any questions or feedback, you can write it in the comment section below. To stay connected and be the first to know of new posts, SUBSCRIBE to the Blog and follow “ChigisWorld” on social media. You can also follow Adaku on Twitter, Instagram ad Snapchat at “adakumusic“. Have an amazing week.