Happy Monday beautiful people! As you may have noticed our “Behind the Magic” series has been only on women so far because it’s Women’s Month, we’ve dedicated this first season to female entrepreneurs and fashionistas.
Our spotlight today is on this gem Jemimah. She’s a fun, bun wearing, singer, song writer and fashion designer with a degree in Product Design. Most times she may be the smallest person in the room, but she has such a big heart and an even bigger set of dimples with an infectious smile.
Hope you enjoy reading this and leave with a great snapshot of who she is. Hopefully she also inspires you to step out in faith to live your dreams, and if you’re afraid, then DO IT AFRAID. Now how real is that? Make sure you also SUBSCRIBE and stay connected.
- Who is Jemimah the artist
I’m a Singer/songwriter, aspiring blogger who also designs and sews half of her clothes. Did I add that music is my life?
- Who is the woman behind the magic?
Make up ruining, floor laying worshiper of the Most Hiiiigh God (insert church music). I’m that reserved, shy, playful, don’t-take-myself-too-seriously kinda woman. Lol….
- What’s your favorite thing about your city?
I’m in Lagos, Nigeria and my favorite thing about the city is the ambition.
- What’s your favorite thing to do?
I love chilling with friends over good food and good conversation, near the sea and attending concerts with GOOD LIVE music.
- Who’s your favorite artist.
Visual artist – Iniitama, check out her Instagram page @iniitamaart
- Where’s your favorite place to go?
I don’t really have a favorite place. If you know Lagos, you’ll know that new places pop up almost everyday. It causes one to change their mind erratically but I’ll mention a few I like right now, R.S.V.P, BBQ and Cravings, Hans and Rene. Lol… sorry I think you just wanted me to mention one.
- What’s your favorite food?
Small chops, lol… a Nigerian food ‘bouquet’ that gives life to my bones. (This is a special mix of finger foods, a must have at any Nigerian event or restaurant).
- Can you describe your style in 3 words?
Colorful, easy breezy, stress-less.
- Flats or heels?
FLATS! They’re cute and comfy, white sneakers especially. I love heels though and due to my height situation (don’t hate, good things come in small packages) I used to wear them a lot but the older I got, the more it became a struggle. I’ve finally embraced my height so yeah, more flats now.
- Pants or dresses?
Dresses, especially shift, flowy short dresses, because I just think they’re cute. I clearly have a thing for ‘cute’ stuff. Plus, they’re ‘stress-less and easy breezy’ like I said earlier.
- What’s your favorite accessory?
My watch. I can’t leave my house without it.
- If you could raid someone’s closet, who would it be?
Fashionista/Fashion Blogger – Chigozie Ohanele (Okullu, not sure which one you use sorry lol) (sticks tongue out).
DISCLAIMER – I didn’t tell her to say that.
- Favorite fashion trend of all time?
WHITE SNEAKERS! I could literally wear them everyday.
- Favorite designer?
Zac Posen. I can’t afford his clothes, but I just love his work.
- Favorite hairstyle?
My Princess Leia, Minnie Mouse buns lol.
- What are your hobbies?
Traveling (by faith, when I’m richer lol), reading, writing.
- What are you currently watching on TV?
When I have the time…Chicago P.D., Chicago Med, Chicago Fire and Nashville.
Sounds like someone needs to visit Chicago and Nashville.
- How was your brand born?
If I start to talk (insert Tiwa Savage voice). Let’s just say it was born the day I overcame fear or rather the day I decided to DO IT AFRAID.
This sounds like the start of a great motivational speech.
- Describe your style of music? Alternative/soul. Hopefully I do not contradict myself in the future because I’m influenced by so many genres of music. I hope that when I eventually release an album, it will not sound confused lol.
- What’s the first thing you do when you have an idea?
Record a voice note and write it in my notes.
- What does creativity mean to you and what’s your creative process?
Umm… really random, I get inspiration from anywhere so I just make sure it’s saved somewhere, for future reference. All these saved bits eventually create a piece…if that makes sense.
- What’s keeping you busy right now?
Promoting my new single ‘Suddenly‘, yay!
- How excited about life on a scale of 1-10 and what’s keeping you excited?
I’m a 15. My journey with God, my new baby nephew and my music is keeping me on high.
- Where will you like to be in a year and in 10 years?
In one year, I would like to have an EP under my belt.
In ten years, I would love to be actively using my music and other gifts to give back to society in one way or another.
- Who inspires you?
Katherine G. Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Jackson (Hidden Figures)
- What 3 things you need to be happy in life?
Family, Music, Good food.
- What 3 things do you need to succeed?
Persistency, Consistency, Prayer.
- So what can’t you do?
- What’s your biggest fear?
NOT dying empty.
- How did you know what to do with your life?
Not sure I actually know lol, every decision is just a step of faith.
- Who makes you laugh?
I laugh at myself all the time plus most of my friends are jokers.
- What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve done?
Can you ask this question again when I’ve gone skydiving? *grin*
- What’s the sound track to your life?
Titanium by Sia.
- Person you’d like to have a drink with?
My late father *insert Luther Vandross – Dance with my father again*
- What’s the biggest thing you’ve learned within the last year?
Carpe diem. (This means seize the day and make the most of the present time).
- What advice will you give your younger self?
You’ll get over it ‘love’ and you’ll be better for it, stronger and wiser.
- What’s the best advice every young entrepreneur needs to hear?
Don’t give up!
- How do you want to be remembered?
As someone with a heart for others, authentic and true to my beliefs
- Upcoming events for Jemimah?
Check my website www.jemimahugen.com for updates.
- How can people contact and follow you?
- How can people buy and stream your music?
You can find me on ITunes, Google Play, Amazon music, Spotify, Deezer and Tidal.